In Nenzing we develop, manufacture and sell crawler cranes, duty cycle crawler cranes as well as piling and drilling rigs for deep foundation work. Over the past years, we have become a system provider offering not only products but also various services and solutions, which facilitate the process on the construction site. These vary from provision of advice on site by our experienced application managers, to state-of-the-art training facilities with simulators, up to recording and analysing of machine data. Highest technological standards combined with quality and functionality distinguish our machines. They are equipped with innovative control systems for optimum user-friendliness on the jobsite. First and foremost are the customers’ needs and requirements.
Some impressive facts about our products and technologies
- The first hydraulically driven and electronically controlled cable excavator was produced in Nenzing in 1980 with the HS 870 HD.
- Liebherr was awarded the Austrian State Prize for Environmental and Energy Technology in 2012 for its Pactronic® hydraulic hybrid drive.
- A world record was achieved in 2013 by a crawler crane: The LR 1300 lifted the 27-meter widest tilt-up concrete panel.
- In 2019 Liebherr presented with the LB 16 unplugged the first battery-powered drilling rig in the world.
Liebherr’s motivation for Data Science
The highly specialized Liebherr machines used in sophisticated and challenging environments, such as the offshore, port, mining and construction industries around the globe, had early requirements for additional knowledge and insights. To satisfy these growing demands Liebherr started to collect data from its machines back in the late 1990s. In cooperation with lead customers, the focus of data science was to boost productivity and availability, to ensure safety and sometimes even to discover new applications. Deep insights into customer operations helped Liebherr not only to optimize the machines in general, but also the processes they are part of.
What does Liebherr do in the area of Data Science
Early availability of data allowed to gain in the field of data science and led to the conclusion that the most efficient use is to combine domain-specific knowledge with the power of data science. Therefore, in 2012 an
interdisciplinary team of experts called the Analysis Team (in short the A-Team) was founded to benefit from data science in daily business.
Today’s initiatives focus on four levels of applications
- Descriptive analytics: “What happened?” This includes data mining methods to recognize, detect and visualize structures, dependencies, trends, patterns or anomalies.
- Diagnostic analytics: “Why did it happen?” On this level, the main task is to make sense of the findings and interpret it with experts.
- Predictive analytics: “What will happen?” Based on data and machine expertise, models are developed that can predict the most likely future events.
- Prescriptive analytics: “How can we make it happen?” Based on statistical models the focus is to alter the machine behaviour to suit our customers’ needs.
This wide range of different applications shows that data science has become an integral part of Liebherr’s daily business.